[midPoint] Questions about Unix Resources

Katka Valalikova katka.valalikova at evolveum.com
Fri Apr 22 09:06:12 CEST 2016

Hi Shawn,

yes, you are absolutely true. You need to specify resource for each linux machine you have. We have planned to implement resource templates feature https://jira.evolveum.com/browse/MID-1653. In that case you will have one template for group of machines. But because our development is mostly driven by customers/subscribers is hasn't been implemented yet. I can understand that in environment with 1000's resources it can be an inconvenience.

In the 3.3.1 released version and also at master there was implemented feature which allows you to specify filter for a resource in a role instead of static oid. It looks lie this:

<inducement id="1">
      <construction>
         <resourceRef type="c:ResourceType">
            <filter>
               <!-- you can use different filters, but the filter must result to one resource-->
               <q:inOid>
                  <expression>
                     <script>
                        <code>
                                ...expression code
                            </code>
                     </script>
                  </expression>
               </q:inOid>
            </filter>
         </resourceRef>
      </construction>
   </inducement>

So maybe in current situation this can help a bit. Although you will still have to specify resource for each machine, you will need only one role to specify.

But for both these features (resource templates, role templates) there is a limitation that the schema for the resources should be the same.

Best Regards,
Katka