[midPoint] New ldap connector and auxiliary objectClasses

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Fri Oct 23 16:25:32 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 10/23/2015 03:20 PM, midpoint at mybtinternet.com wrote:
>    I agree with your principals around retrieving and interpreting the schema. However,
>    attribute names are not supposed to be case sensitive. I have worked with many
>    servers, and have only encountered one that was. I believe this was configurable
>    in that particular server.

Yes, that's right. They are not supposed to be case sensitive. But I
think it is good practice for operations to use the same capitalization
as is specified in the schema. I have seen some problems with this in
the past. I'm not sure how much this applies to current LDAP servers,
but it is perhaps better to stay on the safe side. And the same applies
to object classes. Actually, I have seen a problem with objectclass name
capitalization just a couple of days ago ...

>    As for the server that provided no syntax definitions; wow!! I have not encountered
>    that before ... do you mean when querying the server or no syntax period?

Actually, the attributeTypes definition provided syntax OID (otherwise
it would be a complete disaster). But there was no ldapSyntaxes
definition. None at all. Fortunately, the Apache Directory API still
works with this. Just instead of attributeType.getSyntax().getOid() I
had to use attibuteType.getSyntaxOid() - which seems to be the same but
it is not. The former takes OID from ldapSyntaxes definition, the latter
takes it from attributeTypes definition. So obviously, the former fails
if there are no ldapSyntaxes definition. Simple fix, but unless you
encounter a server like that it is hard to believe that this can
actually happen ...

So, the bottom line is that the more LDAP servers are tested with the
new LDAP connector the more robust it will become. For now we have
tested it with OpenLDAP, OpenDJ, OpenDS, 389ds, eDirectory and Active
Directory. I'd appreciate reports of connector success/failure with any
other directory server.