[midPoint] New ldap connector and auxiliary objectClasses

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu Oct 22 21:57:48 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 10/22/2015 04:19 PM, midpoint at mybtinternet.com wrote:
>   A number of directories, including OpenDJ, IBM, etc, support schema
> definition using a unique string instead
>   of OID (dotted notation). This makes the process easier, less prone
> to error, and you don't have to track
>   OID numbers actively.

Yes. It is also violation of LDAP stadard as far as I'm aware. But I
know very well that this is common practice. The problem was that as
this is a violation of LDAP standard then the Apache Directory API
(which we use for LDAP access) haven't supported it. I have fixed the
Apache Directory API to tolerate non-numeric OIDs. But that happened
after the midPoint 3.2 release. And actually the Apache Directory API
with that fix was release just this week. Therefore the LDAP connector
in midPoint 3.2 does not support it yet. The most recent development
version of the connector does support it. If you are interested you can
build that connector yourself from the source code:
https://github.com/Evolveum/connector-ldap
Or you can use development snapshot from our nexus:
http://nexus.evolveum.com/nexus/service/local/repositories/snapshots/content/com/evolveum/polygon/connector-ldap/1.4.2.0-SNAPSHOT/connector-ldap-1.4.2.0-20151020.202328-48.jar

>   In 3.1.1 with the old connector the first definition worked and I
> have used this syntax for several years;
>   hope we do not have to regress ...

LDAP connector in midpoint 3.1.1 was a totally different connector. The
connector in midPoint 3.1.1 was a based on Sun JNDI and it was quite
antiquated. Use of JDNI is also a development dead end. MidPoitn 3.2 has
a completely new generation of LDAP connector. It is explained here:
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/LDAP+Connector+Migration

The problem with this regression was, that we were testing midPoint with
LDAP servers that are LDAP-compliant. Since the release of 3.2 we have
also added some non-compliant servers to the testing suites. But still,
the amount of weirdness that some LDAP servers (and schema extensions)
can provide can still come with a surprise. So I really appreciate any
reports of issues with the new LDAP connector.