[midPoint] new to IAMs -- general usage question

Jon V sito.org at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 01:18:44 CET 2015

hello. i have installed midpoint and played with it a little.  with all its
complexity and options, i am still not sure if it is what i want to solve
the problem i have.

i have an application with a set of data which i want to allow various
types of access to, based upon set of criteria tied to the user.  i do not
wish to reinvent the wheel and write my own code to manage users, groups,
passwords, authentication, etc etc, so an IAM seems like a great idea.
 however, i am not clear about creating *arbitrary*
roles/permissions/groups that my *application* will need -- if this is what
an IAM is designed for?  (or if the roles, etc in the IAM are strictly for
permissions *within* the IAM system itself and not meant to have meaning to
outside systems.)

any tips on a place for a newbie to get assistance on usage of IAM would
greatly be appreciated.  thanks!

-jon