[midPoint] Synchronization: no focus deletion after account deleted on HR

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Mon Jul 6 11:11:12 CEST 2015

Giovanni,

I totally forgot that the connector (and therefore the LiveSync task)
has no way of knowing that a record - i.e. row in a table - was deleted.

It is because the connector is stateless. When doing LiveSync, it simply
gets a request from midPoint: "give me all the records that were changed
since XXXXX", where XXXXX is the last time when LiveSync was run.
Obviously, if a record was deleted, there's no way for a connector to
know that there was such a record before.

What to do with that?

One possibility how to deal with these deleted records is to use
reconciliation. The reconciliation would discover that db records that
used to be there do not exist any longer.

Other possibility is maybe by simulating deletion using a dedicated
column to flag a record as disabled. (So midPoint would view the record
not as deleted, but instead as disabled.) However, I'm currently not
sure how to configure midPoint to delete the user record in such a
situation.

Best regards,
Pavol

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> quick and stupid question: is Livesync task running? How often?
>
> Thanks,
> Ivan
>
> On 07/06/2015 10:55 AM, Giovanni Rosavini wrote:
>> Hello Pavol,
>>
>> I'm sorry, I accidentally disabled some of the loggers while testing
>> another scenario. Now I have changed my settings enabling the logging
>> for Model (attached is my System Configuration).
>> Here is the test I made:
>>
>>   * at 10:32 I deleted my user from HR;
>>   * at 10:33 I listed the users in the GUI: the to-be-deleted user
>>     was still there;
>>   * at 10:34 I tried to access the user details from the GUI,
>>     receiving the "user not found" error.
>>
>> I previously forgot to mention that I am using Midpoint version 3.1.1.
>>
>> Thank you for your help
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Giovanni Rosavini <g.rosavini at nsr.it <mailto:g.rosavini at nsr.it>>
>>
>> *nova systems roma / nsr*
>>
>> via della foce micina, 74
>> 00054 Fiumicino (RM) - Italia
>> t. +39 06 6504 7521 <tel:%2B39%2006%206504%207521>
>> f. +39 06 6504 7519 <tel:%2B39%2006%206504%207519>
>>
>> web:http://www.nsr.it <http://www.nsr.it/>
>> Il 06/07/2015 09:29, Pavol Mederly ha scritto:
>>> Hello Giovanni,
>>>
>>> I've looked at your resource configuration and your log, but so far
>>> I don't see the cause of the behavior you observe.
>>>
>>> However, we could perhaps help you more if you could send us
>>> complete log files. First of all, I think the current log describes
>>> only the "discovery" part of the process (and shows that midPoint
>>> correctly decided to delete the user). What would be more useful is
>>> the log covering the situation when you delete the row in DB,
>>> execute the LiveSync cycle and observe that no reaction is
>>> performed. Also, currently there seems to be only logs from the
>>> Projector. Could you enable the TRACE logging for the whole Model