[midPoint] when does outbound credentials happen?

Ivan Noris ivan.noris at evolveum.com
Mon Jul 6 08:31:43 CEST 2015

Hi Jason,

as Pavol has pointed out, the behaviour of the password is a bit tricky,
as midPoint does not have the original value and would send the
repository value to AD, which is probably not what you wish to do while
reconciling, if AD passwords are set and reset in AD, not through midPoint.

The channel trick should work for you, if you can say in which
channel(s) you wish to use the mapping (or the opposite: the channel(s),
in which you don't wich to use the mapping). In my experience, the list
of channels can be different during the initial setup and after. E.g. if
you leave only LiveSync channel through the password outbound mapping,
it should be OK for almost all situations. But if some AD accounts get
accidentaly deleted and you would like midPoint to recreate, I doubt the
password will be set correctly, because reconciliation or GUI use
different channels as LiveSync.

So, either use the <channel> restriction, or comment the whole mapping
during the reconciliation (which is what I do, as a paranoid setting,
which is fine for me, but off course nobody is able to send the password
to AD when I'm playing :) ).

The channel limitation for LiveSync and maybe for GUI (to allow password
change when requested from GUI) is probably a good start, but just like
Pavol I recommend you to try this out.

An /example/ from one of my projects (this is not AD, but it does not
matter) to allow password changes during initial import, during LiveSync
and from GUI:

        <credentials>
                <password>
                        <outbound>
                                <description>Do not change passwords
unless using GUI or import (initial) or LiveSync from OpenLDAP through
midPoint</description>

<channel>http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/provisioning/channels-3#import</channel>

<channel>http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/model/channels-3#user</channel>

<channel>http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/provisioning/channels-3#liveSync</channel>
                                <expression>
                                    <asIs/>
                                </expression>
                     </outbound>
                </password>
        </credentials>

On 07/04/2015 03:39 PM, Pavol Mederly wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>
> mapping strength influences how the mapping is applied, either during
> normal operation or during reconciliation.
> I'm sure you have already seen this:
> https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Mapping#Mapping-MappingStrength
>
> In your case, I assume the outbound mapping for password is specified
> with strength of "normal" (the default) or "weak".
> According to the documentation, both are used if the target attribute
> does not have any value.
>
> So far so good. But in AD the password always has no value, because
> the AD clients are not allowed to retrieve it (for obvious reasons).
> So I'm almost sure that the AD password would get overwritten by the
> one stored in the repository.
>
> This is what the theory says. Maybe Ivan (or anyone with practical
> experiences in this respect) would correct me.
>
> Back to your case; it is possible to enable/disable a mapping for
> example depending on a channel that caused the mapping to fire.
> See the <channel> element directly under <mapping>. In your case, you
> could try to include a limitation to LiveSync channel, with
> an assumption that changes from your CSV file would come through
> LiveSync. But please try in the test environment before
> using this advice :)
>
> Best regards and nice weekend!
> Pavol
>

> On 3. 7. 2015 21:06, Jason Everling wrote:
>> I just wanted to confirm, before I un-comment outbound credentials
>> for my AD resource,
>>
>> The only time a password is sent outbound is when the password in
>> midPoint is changed correct?
>>
>> I need to run a reconcile against AD after making a few changes but I
>> wanted to make sure that this will not send out passwords for all
>> users? I am correct in assuming not?
>>
>> Users in midPoint will authenticate via CAS, the outbound password
>> mapping is for when a user is created from CSV and a password is
>> generated.
>>
>> JASON
>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
>> This e-mail together with any attachments is proprietary and
>> confidential; intended for only the recipient(s) named above and may
>> contain information that is privileged. You should not retain, copy
>> or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, or disclose
>> all or any part of the contents to any person. Any views or opinions
>> expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not represent
>> those of the Baptist School of Health Professions. If you have
>> received this e-mail in error, or are not the named recipient(s), you
>> are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
>> copying of this communication is prohibited by the sender and to do
>> so might constitute a violation of the Electronic Communications
>> Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. section 2510-2521. Please immediately notify
>> the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your
>> computer.

  Ing. Ivan Noris
  Senior Identity Management Engineer & IDM Architect
  evolveum.com                     evolveum.com/blog/