[midPoint] MidPoint performance & scalability on hundreds of sites

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Tue Aug 18 09:58:05 CEST 2015

Hi Tim,

The situation that you are experiencing is most likely caused by current
implementation of midPoint GUI and provisioning. The current
implementation is still using sequential read (GUI) and update
(provisioning) of resources. This sequential approach provided many
benefits in the past, mostly for troubleshooting during midPoint
stabilization periods. But these times are over now. We have been
planning to switch to parallel processing for some time already. The
architecture is ready for this and the implementation should be
relatively easy.

The root cause are especially those two issues:
https://jira.evolveum.com/browse/MID-770
https://jira.evolveum.com/browse/MID-2350

While this is obviously needed to make midPoint work well in an
environment with thousands of resources, midPoint subscribers haven't
chosen to "vote" for any of these issues yet. Therefore we are moving
them out from release to release and preferring the issues that midPoint
subscribers marked as more important. My opinion is that parallel
provisioning in midPoint is very important. But as midPoint development
is funded from subscriptions and sponsoring we need to listen closely to
what subscribers and sponsors say and prioritize development according
to that.

Therefore you have the usual options:
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/I+Need+New+Feature

My estimate is that if there is some way how to fund the development
both improvements could still fit into the midPoint 3.3 release.