[midPoint] RoleType in workflows

Arda Nural arda.nural at biznet.com.tr
Wed Jul 23 10:53:09 CEST 2014

Thank you for the clarification Radovan. In my case, I wanted to assign the
approver of a role to another  role; not a user or org. ( e.g  SuperAdmin).
I didn't want  a complex approval schema, just one approver of RoleType.

When this approvable role is assigned to a user, workflow process starts as
expected. I initially thought the role approval item would  be directly
assigned to the user (given the  super admin role which approves this role)
and appear in the 'my work items' menu or the super admin's dashboard.
Instead, it shows up in the "Work Items Claimable by me" menu. My problem
was solved in this case.

Best,

Hi Adra,

Fist of all I need to clarify the question a bit. Are you trying to specify
a groups of approvers for a role?

If this is the case then you should use Org to group approvers, not a role.
Roles are used for provisioning and they cannot be used for grouping users.
Orgs are used for user grouping. So use org instead. The org OID can be used
instead of user OID in the approverRef property.

I see that the "Role vs Org" issue is not obvious. Therefor I've just
explained it here: https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Roles+and+Orgs

On 07/16/2014 01:02 PM, Arda Nural wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Can we use a role in role approval  workflow process? In the examples
> and wiki,  I only noticed that the approvers are UserType objects. I
> tried the example below and the result was: a workflow process was
> created but the work item didn't show up on users work items who has
> the approver role.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Arda
>
> <role oid="12345678-d34d-b33f-f00d-000187987989"
>
> xmlns="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/common-3"
>
> xmlns:c="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/common-3">
>
>     <name>Role approved by role</name>
>
> <description>desc</description>
>
>     <approverRef
> xmlns:c="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/common-3"
>
> oid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000004"
>
>                  type="c:RoleType">
>
>         <description>Approval by the administrator</description>
>
>     </approverRef>
>
> </role>

End of midPoint Digest, Vol 27, Issue 11