[midPoint] Synchronize passwords AD --> MidPoint

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Fri Jul 4 19:46:30 CEST 2014

On 4. 7. 2014 14:23, Roman Pudil - AMI Praha a.s. wrote:
> Hi all,
> how to synchronize passwords between Active Directory and MidPoint
> (both directions)?
> Name of resource attribute where actual AD password is stored?

Hello Roman,

the midPoint -> AD direction is easy. You simply have to set up

                 <credentials>
                     <password>
                         <outbound/>
                     </password>
                 </credentials>

in the "account" section of the schema handling.

As for AD -> midPoint, it is not possible to get actual passwords from
Active Directory. It is not a limitation of midPoint - it is a security
feature of AD.

IDM solutions dealing with Active Directory traditionally use a feature
called password filter. It's a code sitting at AD domain controller,
listening for "password change" events and propagating those events to
the particular IDM.

Guys from Salford Software created such a component for midPoint some
time ago and posted it here. It is available at
https://github.com/Evolveum/midpoint-password-agent-ad. It has two
parts: one collects password changes and stores them in a file, and the
other one sends the changes to midPoint via its SOAP interface. However,
I haven't tried this solution yet; e.g. I'm not sure whether it is
compatible with midPoint SOAP interface changes introduced in 3.0. But
you could easily try that.

Best regards,
Pavol