[midPoint] Re. Group Membership in an AD Resource.

Ivan Noris ivan.noris at evolveum.com
Tue Jan 7 17:23:10 CET 2014

Hi Deepak,

I'm using the Active Directory connector to manage accounts in AD, and a
mapping which assigns user to groups. I didn't have to change resource
schema to use groups; it is available out of the box.

The mapping is for the icfs:groups attribute and midPoint 2.2.x,
although it should still be the same for 2.3.

I've adapted this from actual customer configuration, removing the
customer-specific code, but leaving the XML comments for you:

                <attribute>
                    <ref>icfs:groups</ref>
                    <displayName>Groups</displayName>

                    <limitations>
                        <access>
                            <create>true</create>
                            <read>true</read>
                            <update>true</update>
                        </access>
                    </limitations>
<!-- tolerant=false + strength=strong removes ALL other values including
groups not managed by midpoint

tolerant=true + strength=strong removes old group when the condition
changes, keeping  groups managed outside of midpoint -->

                    <tolerant>true</tolerant><!-- See above -->
                    <matchingRule>mr:stringIgnoreCase</matchingRule>
                    <outbound>
                        <strength>strong</strength><!-- See above -->
                        <source>
                            <path>$user/employeeType</path>
                        </source>
                        <expression>
                            <script>
                                <code>
if (employeeType == 'FTE')
{
    return 'CN=group1,.........................'
}

</code>
                            </script>
                        </expression>
                    </outbound>
                </attribute>

You may need to use our versions of Connector Server and Active
Directory connector, there were some case-sensitivity issues in the
original versions (causing groups like "cn=group1,... and CN=group1" to
cause problems):

http://nexus.evolveum.com/nexus/content/repositories/openicf-releases/org/forgerock/openicf/dotnet/ActiveDirectory.Connector/1.0.0.20069/

http://nexus.evolveum.com/nexus/content/repositories/openicf-releases/org/forgerock/openicf/dotnet/openicf-dotnet/1.4.0.20081/

And update your resource configuration:

            <icfc:resultsHandlerConfiguration>
                      <!-- currently this requires latest Evolveum
version of .net connector server -->

<icfc:enableFilteredResultsHandler>false</icfc:enableFilteredResultsHandler>
            </icfc:resultsHandlerConfiguration>

            <!-- Configuration specific for the Active Directory
connector -->

            <icfc:configurationProperties
. . .

This is the combination I currently use and seems to work well.

Hope this helps,
regards,
Ivan

On 01/07/2014 04:55 PM, Deepak Natarajan wrote:
> Hi  -
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to implement group membership for an Active
> Directory resource.
>
> We are using Midpoint 2.3-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Is it still possible to execute this using the idea of LDAP groups
> described here :
> https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/LDAP+Groups+HOWTO (since AD
> supports LDAPv3)?
>
> Does anyone have any working configuration they can share that they use
> against Active Directory to provision users and also set up group
> memberships?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> BR/Deepak

  Ing. Ivan Noris