[midPoint] Issue while uploading resource xml

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Apr 9 09:13:51 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 04/08/2014 09:24 PM, Nitin G. Prabhu wrote:

> Thanks a lotRadovan for your reply .Just had a query how does midpoint
> synchronizes database table I guess it's the change log column which
> does the work? but wanted to know how it works how midpoint identifies
> whether value in the row has changed or whether it is a new row .

It is actually the timestamp column. The DatabaseTable connector expects
that there will be a column with the timestamp of last change in the
row. MidPoint remembers the time of last synchronization and queries all
rows that has been changed after that.

> Also do we have connectors for Postgres DB instead of Data table.

DatabaseTable is quite universal. It can connect to any database for
which you have JDBC driver. Therefore it also works for PostgreSQL (we
are using this a lot).

The special connectors for MySQL, Oracle, DB2 and so on are actually
designed to manage database *administrator* accounts. And we do not have
connector for PostreSQL for this purpose because as far as I know the
easiest way to manage PostreSQL dabase is to use users from operating
system or other identity repository. And we have connectors for Windows
(Active Directory), Solaris and Linux.

> If I have say 5 tables to synchronize then will I need to configure 5
> different xml files if I use datatable connector or can I specify it
> in only one resource xml file

You can actually use ScriptedSQL connector for that. This connector is
using pieces of JavaScript code to construct actual SQL queries.
Therefore this one should work for your case. But a word of warning
here: this connector is not yet very well tested and also the
documentation is a bit thin at the moment.

However it should be quite easy for you to write your own custom
connector in Java. It is also perhaps the most professional way and this
connector is definitely much more reliable from the maintenance point of
view. Writing your own connector actually means implementing a couple of
Java methods.