[midPoint] Change of midPoint 2.1 development plans

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Mon Oct 8 16:51:18 CEST 2012

Dear community,

We have decided to slightly adjust the development plan for the next
midPoint version. In last few months we have gained more operational
experience and tested the product much better. That resulted in quite a
lot of bugfixes and the original plan was to make a quick bugfix release
2.0.1 during this fall. However, we have decided to go a bit deeper. We
have realized that there need to be a more substantial changes in
midPoint to allow it to gain the full potential. These changes are
really something that we were looking for from the very beginning, but
they need some schema adjustments. We see that this is the right thing
to do. Therefore we have decided to postpone a little bit the work on
workflows and rather focus on getting the core mechanisms right.

It looks like are on the correct way, however the scope of the changes
that we have now it much larger than a mere "bugfix release". Therefore
we have decided to change the release schedule as follows:

2.0.1 bugfix release - cancelled
2.1 (Coeus): reduced scope, earlier release date. The current projection
is for November 2012
2.2 (Crius): takes all the original Coeus scope, earlier release date.
Current projection of release date is very early 2013.

Full plan is available in midPoint Jira (as usual):
https://jira.evolveum.com/browse/MID#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversions-panel

The 2.1 (Coeus) release will contain all the bugfixes originally planned
for 2.0.1. However, the state of workflow implementation need to be
reduced to just "experimental" as we will not not have enough time to
finish it and test it. The full workflow implementation is planned for
2.2 (Crius) release.

The most significant change in the 2.1 (Coeus) release is introduction
of Mapping mechanism. Partial documentation is already available:
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Mappings+and+Expressions
This change allows to use the full potential of the relative change
model that is the base of all other midPoint mechanisms.

There will be incompatible change in the schema between 2.0 and 2.1. We
have analyzed the situation with customers that have commercial support
agreements and decided to address each of them individually. That means
we do not plan to create migration scripts now as the change is easy to
do manually for most existing deployments. It is also more reliable way.
Therefore we have rather decided to make the change for all existing
customers as a part of support agreement.

I hope that this plan gives you better product sooner. In case of any
questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact us.