[Midpoint-dev] GenericObjectType

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Tue Oct 24 14:36:20 CEST 2017

Hi,

GenericObjectType was introduced to midPoint design very early. But
honestly, it was never really used much. What we usually do it to use
other existing midPoint objects and "derive" new object type from that.
E.g. teams, projects, companies can be modeled as OrgType, networks,
applications, virtual machines, cloud services, devices, printets can be
modeled as ServiceType and so on. Individual "subtypes" are usually
differentiated by using the subtype fields (roleType, orgType,
serviceType). This is much better than creating new types from scratch.
If new type is derived from midPoint types then they automatically
inhering part of midPoint functionality (e.g. object templates,
application of meta-roles, policy rules, ...)

This is the way forward. However, the functionality is not perfect yet.
There are some improvements planned for 3.8 (e.g. unify roleType,
orgType and serviceType to single subtype). That will improve the
situation a bit, but it is not definitive solution yet. The real
solution is the proposed archetype feature:

https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Archetypes

We are looking for funding for this functionality. If you are interested
then please contact Evolveum sales.