[Midpoint-dev] Need help in config MYSQL DB

Martin Devecka martin.devecka at evolveum.com
Wed Aug 13 09:48:25 CEST 2014

Hi,

it seems we have lack in the documentation, thank you for reporting it.
We are going to improve the documentation, however in the meantime
following simple how to would probably help.
We assume you have followed
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Repository+Configuration and
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/MySQL

First of all you should shutdown your tomcat (if it is in running state).

This guide is for Windows environment, but it is very similar for Linux.

1. Check ${midpoint-home}/config.xml, where MySQL (H2 has to be
commented out) repository configuration is following:
     <repository>
<repositoryServiceFactoryClass>com.evolveum.midpoint.repo.sql.SqlRepositoryFactory</repositoryServiceFactoryClass>
         <embedded>false</embedded>
<driverClassName>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driverClassName>
         <jdbcUsername>midpoint</jdbcUsername>
         <jdbcPassword>password</jdbcPassword>
<jdbcUrl>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/midpoint</jdbcUrl>
<hibernateDialect>com.evolveum.midpoint.repo.sql.util.MidPointMySQLDialect</hibernateDialect>
         <hibernateHbm2ddl>validate</hibernateHbm2ddl>
     </repository>

     Please update the property values according to your environment.

2. On classpath either in deployed midpoint webapps/midPoint/WEB-INF/lib
or in apache-tomcat/lib proper MySQL driver shall be placed. In my case:
mysql-connector-java-5.1.30-bin.jar
    If you are missing it, please, follow the instruction in our wiki to
download and copy it.

3. Check catalina.bat in apache-tomcat/bin to point to correct midpoint
home location (Please set your own path):
     set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dmidpoint.home=c:/midpoint_3_Node2
-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m

4. In MySQL (I am using workbench) create midpoint database:

     CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS midpoint CHARACTER SET utf8 DEFAULT
CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin DEFAULT COLLATE utf8_bin;
     CREATE USER 'midpoint'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
     GRANT ALL on midpoint.* TO 'midpoint'@'localhost';
     use midpoint;

     and all the DB objects (tables) that are in the midpoint mysql script.

     CREATE TABLE ...

     Use proper sql script based on the distribution your are using
either stable or snapshot:
     For stable release check:
     - the latest midpoint http://www.evolveum.com/downloads/midpoint/3.0/
     - and download midpoint-3.0-dist.zip
     - Execute MySQL database script located in:
*\midpoint-3.0-dist.zip\config\sql\midpoint\3.0\mysql\mysql-3.0
     For snapshot check:
     - the latest commit number on
https://bamboo.evolveum.com/browse/MID-TRUNK/latestSuccessful
     - and download it via http://athena.evolveum.com/builds/master/
where .zip file should be selected (midpoint-3.1-SNAPSHOT-dist.zip).
     - Execute MySQL database script located in:
*\midpoint-3.1-SNAPSHOT-dist.zip\config\sql\midpoint\3.0\mysql\mysql-3.0

5. Start tomcat (Windows) apache-tomcat\bin\startup.bat (for Linux
apache-tomcat\bin\startup.sh).
6. Open browser http://localhost:8080/midpoint/admin/
Login:administrator Pass:5ecr3t
7. Create new user in midpoint.
8. Check in MySQL table m_user where new user should be created: select
* from m_user;

I hope this will help you.

regards,
Martin Devecka