[midPoint] Connecting multi-domain active directory forrest

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Feb 22 11:16:56 CET 2017

Hi,

I'm partly guessing. But you may be hitting a connector limitation here.
Or rather a common limitation of distributed directory services. It is
not really possible to make a search that spans both root domain and the
subdomains. In the case of AD it might be theoretically possible to
search through global catalog. But that is not very practical as global
catalog does not have all the data. We would need to fetch each and
every account from its authoritative location anyway. This is
inefficient and therefore it is not implemented.

We use a different approach. We define each domain as a separate
"intent" in midPoint. This is the easiest way how to handle the DN
suffixes of the domains. And then you can import each of of the intents
separately. If you correctly define base context for each intent then
the search should work. Connector will route it to the correct domain
controller based on that base context. This should be perfectly feasible
configuration as long as you have only a small number of subdomains.