[midPoint] IDE Setup guide for debugging

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu Oct 13 10:57:52 CEST 2016

Hi,

What we usually use is a simple remote debugging functionality. Google
for any guide to setup tomcat for remote debugging and connect that to
Eclipse. E.g. this one:
http://blogs.mulesoft.com/dev/tomcat-tcat-server/debugging-your-tomcat-webapp-with-eclipse/

That works with main midPoint code quite well. But I have never tried
that with a connector. ConnId framework has its own classloaders and
that might complicate the things. Eclipse might not be able to properly
couple server-side code with the code in IDE. But it is perhaps worth
giving a try.

Personally I'm not a big fan of IDE-based debugging. Yes, it speeds up
the development. But no code is ever perfect and not testing environment
is ever comprehensive enough. You are quite likely to hit some connector
issues after the connector is deployed. Personally I tend to use logging
instead of debugging from the very beginning of connector development.
And then I use logs to diagnose connector issues. Not debugging. This
slows down the development a bit. But it guides you to have good log
messages in the connector. And having good logging in the deployed
connector is an excellent way how to save a huge amount of trouble
during system maintenance.