[midPoint] Evolveum is disengaging from OpenICF project

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Nov 26 13:54:43 CET 2014

Hello community,

After many years of a cumbersome cooperation we have decided to finally
disengage from the ForgeRock OpenICF project. We are not happy that we
had to do this step but there are many reasons to take this move. First
of all I want to point out that cooperation with the engineers working
on OpenICF was never the problem. The engineers are excellent and
helpful. And even though we do not always agree we were always able to
find some way to cooperate. The technology and the engineers are not the
problem. The problems go deeper into the processes, management and
perhaps even business strategy and company politics. Evolveum was a part
of OpenICF project almost from its beginning. We have made significant
contributions to crucial OpenICF connectors over past few years. However
we have not been able to find a way how to efficiently merge the
contributions with the OpenICF development trunk. We have tried to adapt
and we have tried several approaches but none of that really worked.
After two years of failed requests and suggestions to streamline the
OpenICF contribution process we had finally given up. I'm very sad that
this had to happen. But our patience is not infinite. And we did not
want to waste time on bureaucracy and politics instead of writing a
working code.

Therefore we have decided to split our effort from OpenICF using the
code that we have created for OpenICF and that was never integrated with
OpenICF development trunk. We are moving the connector code under our
own project code-named "Polygon". Currently the LDAP, CSVFile and
Databasetable connectors have been converted to "polygon" connectors
that operate directly on top of ConnId framework. Other connectors will
follow over time.

There should be no significant difference for midPoint users from a
functionality perspective. The Polygon connectors provide the same or
better functionality as compared to OpenICF connectors. Only the
connector type/bundle identification and namespaces are changing. Both
the OpenICF and ConnId connectors are sill compatible and fully usable
in midPoint. We will even support the original OpenICF connectors -
however there are limitations. Starting from midPoint version 3.1 the
midPoint subscription will include the support for the "polygon"
versions of LDAP, AD, CSV and DBtable. A separate support agreement will
be needed to cover OpenICF versions of these connectors. Also the issues
of any OpenICF connector will only be fixed in its respective polygon
versions.

I personally hope that this is a change for the better. We are formally
dropping off the OpenICF project but we are not resigning from all the
cooperation. We will still try to find a way to cooperate on a technical
level with OpenICF engineers. We are just not able to fight the
resistance and bureaucracy of OpenICF project any more.